Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Just how badly do you want it? (Put your money where your mouth is :))




I’ve lived in US for most of my life, so got quite used to the fact that people are willing to pay extra to get things the really want. Or to get them NOW (or whenever suits THEM). Or to adjust service/merchandise to their specs.


New Zealand is very different in that respect.
Here consumers are generally very price conscious and seemingly unwilling to up the ante to get what they want when they want and in accordance to their specific desires. Rather they attempt to  get as much as they possibly can while paying as little as they can possibly get away with.

Case in point.

These days sex work is my only employment. I do it full-time.
This was a conscious choice I’ve made about 3 years ago. In the past sex work was always a second job for me-I maintained “day” job at all times (quote marks are used because a lot of those jobs-like waitressing and restaurant management actually involved a lot of night time work).
I’ve had many “day” jobs (some better than others), but most demanded that I adjust my schedule/plans constantly in order to be successful/keep a job/make money (in some cases quite a lot of money).

For instance, when I worked in hospitality, I was often called in to work on my days off or asked to stay and work a double shift: because someone did not turn up, because restaurant suddenly got “swamped” by unexpected volume of customers, etc.

When I was a manager, it was even worse: I was called at all times of day and night every time something happened and it was written in my employment contract that I couldn’t leave the restaurant if it was “busy” (regardless of the fact that my 10-hour shift might have been finished when that happened). Obviously, I was on salary :/.

When I sold real estate, in order to maintain a successful edge among other 17,000 licensed Realtors (not to mention unlicensed ones)in Vegas, I had to answer my phone at all hours (often in the middle of the meal or way past my bedtime).

When I owned a property management Co., I was expected to be on-call 24/7 by both tenants and landlords. I was expected to take action immediately upon receipt of a call: like the time tenants called at 11:20pm in July in Las Vegas and reported broken Air Conditioning unit: I was expected to place them elsewhere for the night and have the unit repaired ASAP.

The other time I actually was forced to cut short my honeymoon (true story) because there was a fire in the unit NEXT to the one under my management and tenant was claiming smoke contamination. Landlord was living out of state and both parties demanded I get there immediately and deal with the problem.

So it was with great joy that I’ve finally made sex work my ONLY job (after years of hard work) when I’ve reached the level of financial security that afforded me this option.

Sex work affords me freedom and flexibility along with financial means to enjoy my life. I am one of those people who like to have some sort of a plan for every day, week, month, year.
It doesn’t mean I can’t be spontaneous, but generally I plan at least several days ahead. It could be loose plan and mutable to a point, but there is always a plan.

I also relish my early nights and enjoy 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
There is scientific proof that our health very much depends on how structured our habits and environment are: it is advisable going to bed around the same time every night, get at least 8 hours of good sleep, eat at certain times and get regular exercise.
Ever since I’ve switched to sex work only, I’ve maintained my lifestyle according to guidelines above and I am here to tell you that it is definitely true.
Structured environment promotes a great overall well-being and some things just fall into place once it’s been happening for a while.
I very much enjoy and appreciate this lifestyle after years and years of shift work and being yanked out of bed/from the dining table/holiday to cater to customers.

I list my business hours clearly in my ad: 10am-8pm 7 days a week (which allows great deal of flexibility for potential client). I specify that advanced appointment is required.
This has to do with the fact that although I appreciate that some people always do things in the spur of the moment, I would not let this affect MY life.
After all, sex workers are abundant in NZ: with prostitution decriminalised over a decade ago, punters are spoiled for choices.

Despite being very clear with regards to my business hours and booking procedure, I often get calls for “now” bookings and after hours calls. When told that I can’t accommodate them, some guys get petulant, others ask to “squeeze” them in and others make “fake” bookings for the future date (I am assuming to “teach me a lesson”?).

Thing is, I am not trying to be bitchy. I have thought carefully about how I want to structure my life and adjusted my business to fit that structure.
It’s not much of a lifestyle, if you are chained to your phone, afraid to make any plans or even leave the house just in case a punter rings and wants you “now”.

Often times guys assume I mean I am booked solid when I refuse their booking and give me sceptical remarks. Well, we all know what the first part of the word “assumption” is... LOL..

Here are some reasons I would reject a booking:

-Normally by 5:30pm I have finalised my plans for the evening-whatever they might be. It might be a booking. It might be a dinner with a friend. It might be a movie. It might be theatre. Or I might just want to relax in bed in my PJs with cold cream/mask on my face.
Whatever my plans are, I will not break them because some punter suddenly got an urge. Apart from the fact that I would never stand my friends up, I wouldn’t want to lose the money I’ve paid for tickets (in case of movie/theatre) or miss the play I wanted to see.
Also, abruptly yanking oneself out of *whatever* state and re-gearing for a completely different one has adverse effect on health and well-being (this is scientifically proven fact-has to do with chemicals body produces and stress inflicted)

That is why I specify that all evening bookings have to be made in advance during the day: so I can plan and prepare accordingly. Also, as I strive to deliver top notch service, if a booking is multi-hour and going into late evening, I won’t take any bookings during the day and will get plenty of rest-so I am fresh for the client.

-Short-notice day time bookings. I appreciate quite a few people unable to make their “entertainment” plans too far in advance, so try to get things done around the house/work online/make my phone calls during the day, so I am around the house and can get ready for a booking in a reasonable amount of time. I don’t however sit around in my corset, stockings and heels perfectly made up with hair immaculately done and candles lit and soft music playing waiting for punter come calling.

I go about my day and do what I need to do. Sometimes client’s call finds me away from the house with 20-30 minutes needed just to get back (not to mention getting ready).

That’s why I make myself available 7 days a week-a trade off of sorts for the need for advanced booking.

Having said all that let me return to the first two paragraphs of this post.

Like most people, I could be swayed by money (not to do ANYTHING, mind, but to make it more attractive for me to consider changing my plans/schedule).

In the past I’ve had several clients who had seen me before call after hours and ask for short notice bookings (then and there). Circumstances were different for each one of them: some found themselves at loose ends in CBD and others had a tough day at work and needed release.

Obviously, those gents called me because they liked what they saw/experienced in the past: combination of presentation, service, ambiance and availability of alternative services. They could have easily called someone else who actually advertises working late or drop by one of the city’s parlours, but they called me.
I am guessing because they would rather have unrushed experience in a plush environment on 1000 count linen with all the extras that I offer included instead of “hit-or-miss” punt possibly somewhere with thread bare linen and buzzer going off at 50 min mark.
Yet it never occurred to them to offer more money in order to get what they wanted when they wanted.

While I definitely won’t be interested in getting out of bed and out of my comfy PJs and apply make-up, do my hair, dress-up, set up the premises after hours for my regular price (my rates are very, very reasonable for all that I offer), I might be tempted to do so for extra $50-$100 (depending on the hour). It is not a guarantee, but it would definitely make client’s odds better.

When I want something, the first thing that comes to MY mind is to offer more money in order to get it.

Once in Melbourne, when faced with completely sold out (all 6 weeks of it) play with Geoffrey Rush at MTC, I’ve paid usher $50 to stand at the back so I could see it.

When I see several things I like in different menu items in the restaurant, I ask for those to be served to me in one dish immediately followed by “I’ll pay extra”-I am very seldom refused.

While living in Tokyo, I was caught in downpour in the middle of the city and no cabbie wanted to stop. By holding out 3 fingers (a sign for willingness to pay ripple the amount of fair) I was able to get a cab in less than 2 minutes.
It works, as it always had: money does help things along J:).

Just a quick note in parting: offering more money to secure an appointment outside WG’s normal days/hours should be voluntary on client’s part (I would never suggest it at inquiry) and genuine-meaning he shouldn’t expect longer service because he paid more. Additional amount is to compensate for inconvenience: nothing more and nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment