Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Plausible deniability (my experience working in New Zealand Parlours/clubs/agencies)

Plausible deniability definition: credible (plausible) ability to deny a fact or allegation or to deny previous knowledge of a fact.

I've lived in US for a very long time and we all know that it is a highly litigious society (it's one of the many,many reasons I left that country). You have to watch your step carefully, no matter what you do for a living (or even in your daily life), as you can become a subject of a lawsuit in a New York minute.
As I worked in Hospitality Industry for a long time (started as a waitress and advanced to a Restaurant and District Manager positions), I've been taken to court and took people to court on a regular basis. Even more so when I was selling Real Estate in Las Vegas and owned a Property Management Co. there.
Litigation was my bread and butter and, annoying as it was, I became quite adept to it, not fearing it at all, but rather just making the best of the circumstances. Knowledge is power and I've learned a lot from those experiences. One of the things I learned is how to recognise plausible deniability: I can see and smell it a mile away..LOL..

In New Zealand, where prostitution was decriminalised 8 years ago, parlours and clubs that provide sexual services are highly competitive. Even more so these days, when economy is flagging, our credit rating has been double-downgraded , the National Disaster Fund is literally empty and no one want to insure us after the massive Christchurch Earthquake. In short: the future is uncertain and people tend to have much less disposable income, or simply hold on to their wallets and sex industry thrives on disposable income, there is no denying that. Add to that the fact that entire population of NZ (as a country)is roughly four million, while Melbourne,for example, enjoys the same population as a city (plus thousands of visitors on a daily basis).

In my opinion good, healthy competition is great: consumer always wins that way. What I do object to are dirty tactics. I have no tolerance for people with "guerrilla warfare" mentality, especially when there is absolutely no reason for that.
I think those people forget that slinging mud at others makes them look bad to consumers.
Besides, we all know the famous adage about throwing stones while living in a glass house: no one is absolutely perfect and squeaky clean. We all have (or had) our problems and took shortcuts sometimes that we regretted later.. We all, at one time or another made a bad judgement call.. Sometimes we had to do things that didn't sit well with us, yet we needed money, so we went along with it..
If each and every one of us will be completely honest with themselves (I call it "sitting in a dark room by yourself"), we all have done something that makes us cringe (or something that others might consider immoral,unsavory,etc). As long as we've learned our lessons, it's generally all good.
Everyone needs to be a little humble, in my opinion,especially in our industry, where choices are in abundance these days.
When I worked as a stripper in Las Vegas (see my blog post about that), where there were as much as 300 girls on the floor working at the same time and competition was really fierce, those of us who "teamed up" and promoted each other always ended up making more money than those girls who just wanted to tell the customer that they are the best thing since sliced bread and talked rubbish about other girls. Many clients found it rather off-putting (I know because they've told me).
The way we did it, we approached the customer individually (or sometimes in pairs) and started talking about how he must be feeling so overwhelmed with choices,as there are so many beautiful girls around.. 99% of the time it brought up the question; "Oh, do you like girls?". I would enthusiastically nod my head and proceed to tell the guy how beautiful this or that girl is and how we "did it" just the other day (even if we never had)...blah..blah..blah.. You can guess the next thing that happened: yip, the guy had a "stiffy"...LOL..
Now he NEEDED a lap dance. Often he asked if the girl I was talking about would join us.. These often lead to conversation about continuing this party in a hotel room and, of course, more money (which was the whole point of that exercise)..
Often times guys came in by themselves to "scope the talent" because their group sent them as an "ambassador" of sorts: they wanted several girls, preferably bi (but they never said anything until later). Of course, if you were one of those "nasty" girls who badmouthed everyone else, you were automatically "out of the running"..hehehe..
As clients wanted variety, they often asked for recommendations. I had about 5 girlfriends whom I worked with at all times, and between 5 of us, we kept "recycling" the clients, thus continuing the flow of money. Guys preferred to skip the whole "hit and miss" search in favor of a simple phone call to a girl who came highly recommended from someone he'd already been with and knew exactly what to expect at what price,etc. That was another thing: as prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas, it was a tricky business for guys as well as girls. Cops did conduct sting operations against punters (granted, not as much as against girls, but still), so one had to be careful.
A lot of times guys wanted to spend several days with a girl and she was only able to do part of required time (due to the work or family commitments,etc)-that's when those friendships and alliances came in handy. She would simply "hand" the client over to her trusted girlfriend-fun was had by all and money was made. Of course, the other girl would return the favor when the opportunity arose.
A lot of times those guys were successful businessmen and they handed our numbers to their friends when those were planning a trip to Vegas.
As you can see, it was way more productive to co-op rather than fight.
When I finally left Las Vegas for good, I "placed" all my long-time good clients with my friends. Some of those guys meant a good, steady, guaranteed income (like the one who came to Vegas every month,always booked in advance, took me to dinner, bought me a nice present and paid me $600).

But I digress... Back to NZ situation.
I used to live in Napier for a while and  started coming to Wellington just to work for a few days (usually 3-5) a couple years ago. I like to test things out and formulate my own opinions, so each visit I tried a different parlour/agency in order to find out which one suits me the best. Yes, making money was definitely on the top of the list, but I'm not broke, so take a lot of other things into consideration.
I didn't realise back then how competitive and catty some of the club owners get!

I am very organised, so usually do Internet research first, then contact the manager/owner via email, supplying a brief bio, my photos and asking certain questions.
After making contact and getting all my questions answered, I discuss the shifts/times, ask them to put me on the roster and book a hotel.
So when I arrive, I have everything sorted and ready to go: place to stay, place to work and often a dinner reservation or a theater ticket.
I will not be naming places,as it would achieve no purpose at this stage (has to do with plausible deniability I've mentioned before), but some of you might recognise them by description.
The first place I've tried was a well-known brothel. I was told they could provide me with accommodation (off-site) for $50/night. I accepted.
Upon arrival I've discovered that the place itself seen better days : it was (and still is, even more so now) in a need of major renovation. I was told that I could only work night shift (which I really hate to do,as I am a "day" girl,through and through-I like to sleep at night), but I accepted,as it was just a "trial".
Money was OK, but not that great (I was told on the phone that the reason they wanted me to work those particular nights,as they are "really busy" and there isn't enough girls)-I haven't observed any of that (plausible deniability fact 1: the manager enticed me to work the day's/shifts convenient for the brothel (but not at all for me) by saying things like "we are usually really busy during these times" which can be easily denied later by saying that no one can really predict the business and she didn't guarantee anything,which is true).
When I finally got to their accommodation, I discovered that it was a house,out of town (not far, but it's a good thing I had a car, otherwise they would have their driver take me there and charge additional $20 for that) with 2 bunk beds in each bedroom (remember, they were charging $50 PER PERSON PER NIGHT!).
Granted, it was just me and one other girl in the house at that time, but it wasn't the norm (usually all the bunks are full). And I still didn't appreciate sleeping on a bunk bed on the linen that clearly wasn't fresh (I actually didn't undress because of that). The very next day I got myself a very nice hotel room, IN town, for $88/night (Trinity Hotel on Willis St., which I highly recommend, often has those specials).
The next day I received a call from the manager before my shift and was told that their driver would come and pick me up. I explained that I'd rather have my car. We went back and forth for a while, her saying they prefer girls were driven by their driver.. In the end, I took my car to work..
When I arrived, a man introduced himself to me as an owner in the parking lot. We had a little chat (again, the driver issue, but I was adamant about having my car at all times and he backed off). During that chat he quite blatantly asked me if I had a boyfriend-I replied I was gay. His response:"Oh..Well,lesbians are people,too.." I kid you not!
Later,as I was sitting in the lounge, I overheard two other girls talking (I wasn't eavesdropping at all-they were talking loudly and were not making a secret of what was said). It was clear that the owner had sex with both of them for free (several times, in fact). No, he didn't force them. He just led them to believe that they have to do it in order to work in his establishment.
At the end of the shift I was fined $20, because, supposedly, the driver went to pick me up and waited for me for 15 min (although I very clearly stated that I wanted to take my own car).
Plausible deniability facts 2 and 3: having parlour's driver taking the girls to and from work actually gives parlour a lot of control. At that place girls are not paid their monies until the end of the shift, so if any of them want to leave, for whatever reason, it would be made that more difficult without a car and no money for a cab..
Also, the owner is clearly abusing his position by asking girls for free sex, but if asked, I'm sure he will deny it by saying the girls "wanted" it and "begged" him to sleep with them.. Or that him and any particular girl had a short-lived "affair" and things didn't work out.. Yeah, right..
Two shifts was all I did in that place.. I DID give it another try over a year later (it was more of a curiosity expedition than anything else). Things were even worse. Place looked even more run-down with threadbare linen and towels of undetermined colour (after endless washes). Rules have changed as well: girls were not assigned rooms any more and had to change in a downstairs room which had no shower or lockers.
No one told me about the length of shifts and I realised too late that I was expected to work 11 hour shift! It was very slow and when I asked the receptionist/manager if I could go home after 8 hours, she kept putting me off by saying that she needs to call the owner and "clear it" with him. Why on earth?! What does owner have to do with it? You are the one in charge of the shift, you are the one who just a minute ago ruthlessly and roughly poked one the girls awake to say "Hi" to a highly intoxicated punter who didn't end up booking anyone, then you should be the one making the decision about letting me go home. Especially when there are 5 other girls who WANT to stay and it would be less competition for them when I left!
Couple of other things happened during that visit. Customer booked me, went up into the room with me and immediately asked if he could smoke in the room. I said "No" and pointed out that he just had a smoke 5 min ago downstairs. He replied that it was a "different" kind of smoke and indicated a "joint" with a gesture. I was really upset: I don't do drugs (of ANY kind) and want nothing to do with them. I certainly don't want anyone doing them in my presence. When I firmly said "No!", the guy kept going on about how they "Let him do it all the time at the....... Club". I held my ground and he went downstairs and cancelled the booking.. AND was given all his monies back!
Another client kept going outside to his car and coming back in-each time clearly under influence of drugs.
I would've just walked out of there, but receptionist/manager made it clear with her demeanour that I won't be given my money then and there-I would have to come back the next day and fight for it and possibly be fined.. Plausible deniability fact 4: no she didn't spell it out, but it was very clearly implied, although she would certainly deny it later!
Clearly, that parlour was off my list of desirable places to work, so I continued my quest.
Next up was a place that opened just a few weeks prior. The photos of the rooms looked awesome! (and they were true photos of actual rooms,as I've discovered later-beautifully and tastefully decorated).
I contacted the owner/manager and was back in Wellington a week later.
First thing I discovered upon my arrival is that they pay the girls weekly. They told me,as I was only in town for 2 days, I would get paid straight away, but weekly is their standard procedure.
This system of payments always makes me uneasy: in our business there are a lot of variables and I'd like to have my "cut" of the money BEFORE every booking (that's how it's done in every parlour in Australia and some agencies in Wellington). Again, this weekly system of payments gives owner a lot of control and there is always that unspoken threat that you may not get all your money if you don't want to go through with a particular booking, or miss work or..whatever.. Now, I am NOT at all implying that the owner does that, but it does give me a pause.
Next thing I discovered was that the "room" (I have to put quotation marks,as it was more of a large closet,really) where the girls meant to sit between the bookings was really small. It hosted a washer and dryer as well, so would get really hot in there and there was no space for all the girls to sit (there were 5 or 6 girls on and it only had 1 two-seater love seat and 2 chairs).
The lounge for the guests was, in contrast, really cold and was furnished with outdoor,"garden" furniture (try to sit on a cold, hard, tile-top chair wearing nothing but a G-string-I guarantee you won't enjoy it.
I didn't like the shower arrangements and the way main entrance was situated,either. Personally, I think it was not at all "discreet" (and I've spoken with some clients later who agreed).
I found the manager to be controlling and micro-managing. For instance, she'd take it upon herself to decide which girls would go out to meet any client that walked in. In a "lounge-into" setting of the parlour that didn't make any sense to me.
Something else happened during that shift. I was told by the manager to do a "private into" for a couple in one of the rooms. Manager told me the couple is planning to attend a "swinger's party" and wanted to interview the girls individually. After about 3 min long conversation with the client, it was clear to me that he was into extreme BDSM scene with the emphasis on SM and was looking for a "bottom" or "sub" in addition to his partner to have a session in a dungeon ( no, not swingers club at all). As I do have first-hand knowledge of BDSM, I asked some very specific questions. The guy was cagey at first, but when I pressed, he answered all of them. I knew it wasn't for me-too extreme.
Guy interviewed 2 other girls and selected a young teenager. That girl was talking to me just prior and, without offending, I have to say that she wasn't particularly well-educated,quite new to the business and lacked experience. I don't think she even knew what BDSM means or entails.
The booking was made for 2 or 3 hours and the three of them (clients: man and a woman and the girl) departed to destination unspecified. However, they did return just 40 min later. I asked the girl for the reason and she said that the owner of the dungeon wouldn't let them in, as she recognised her (WG) from the parlour's website.. I know for a fact that the owner of that particular dungeon is extremely safety-conscious, so I am guessing she just used it as an excuse: she probably deemed the whole thing questionable as far as safety is concerned and wanted nothing to do with it.
So in they went into a room in the club where we all were. The booking lasted for 2 hours. When the girl came out, I must say, she was a bit shell-shocked.. I don't think she was expecting the level of pain inflicted, nor was she prepared to see what the guy did to his partner (she described it as quite brutal and was wondering how that woman would be able to sit after that). No "safe word" was given to the girl (I asked).
Now here's the deal with plausible deniability: the girl wanted the money, no question. She did agree to go through with the booking without any pressure. And later, she didn't really complain,as she kept saying that she was not as bad off as the guy's partner and she did need the money. Besides, I got a feeling that she was afraid to be in trouble with the manager.
The manager would stick with "swinger's club" story, I'm sure, if asked, and say she knew nothing about the guy's intentions and point out that no one forced anyone to do anything... All true.. Seems like everything was consensual. But I call it "illusion of consent"-when it's not really what it seems because the person giving consent is not properly informed and doesn't really realise what they're consenting to.
Reality is, it IS club manager's responsibility to provide safe environment. All it took for me was 3 min of specific,pointed questions to figure out what the guy was up to ( and so did the owner of the dungeon).
That, in and on itself, certainly wasn't the reason to show him the door (although I would be a bit weary,as he was cagey about it at first). I know some working girls who are very much into being a "bottom", they have very high pain threshold and quite enjoy their sessions and really get into it.
In my opinion, the responsibility of the manager was to educate the girl who clearly knew nothing about any of it, spell it out to her AND set very specific guidelines for the customer (requiring "safe" word would be one of them).
I only worked in that place for 2 shifts that I promised them and never went back. I understand the owner changed the format of the establishment completely and it is one of the better agencies in Wellington these days. That's great and I applaud them. But my experience from 2 years back is still on my mind: I know what I saw/heard. I know what happened.
I tried another place 2 weeks later: it was an agency that had a good reputation and boasted "beautiful,discreet apartments, truly professional management, who really cares about their girls" and great money and working conditions.
Back then I knew nothing about the existence of Adult Forum or NZG.
Apparently, in an attempt to promote me, one of the managers posted something on Adult Forum. It wasn't a big thing, just the usual "we welcome our new addition-beautiful Russian...blah..blah...blah.."
I honestly didn't see that post or knew anything about it until just 2 days ago: on a whim, I've decided to put my working name into the search box on AF and see what pops up. There were 2 pages worth of my posts and replies, some reviews and that post (from almost 2 years ago)...
There was what I described earlier as "guerrilla tactics": almost as soon as it was published, one of the working girls (supposedly) from that previous establishment where I worked 2 weeks prior,piped in. She tried to say that my dress size was stated incorrectly (she couldn't posssibly say that I was fat, as I am most definitely not AND there were photos of me posted), but she implied that I was bigger. Then she went on about my age, saying that I was much older (I've talked about age before: in our business the actual number is irrelevant,especially when there are photos posted: you either like what you see or don't. Age is strictly a matter of perception. Besides, different people really do age differently-it has to do with lifestyle,drug consumption,number of kids,etc,etc,etc). I am not making any secret of my age, anyhow,as clearly evidenced by this blog...LOL..
Basically, that girl was using bullying techniques to try and discredit me and/or prevent me from getting bookings. It was a pissing contest,really and pointless at that.
Plausible deniability fact 5: I'm pretty sure it was the manager of that club who was behind it. There are literally hundreds of working girls in Wellington and dozens of new ones come in every week, not to count those who don't advertise... I can't imagine any WG would look diligently through all the listings of the clubs/brothels every day to see what new girls pop up and to try and bully them. For one, WGs are too busy with their own bookings/clients and everyday life. Personally, I can care less about what others do: I am much more concerned with my own s...t.. Club/parlour owners are a different story however: they do look through all other websites and are none too pleased when the girls "jump ship" in favor of a competitor. They don't always say it out loud, but it comes up sooner or later-even the best ones succumb to that.
But back to that agency. Although rooms were nice and there was a pleasant area for girls to relax between the bookings, I found management lacking in professionalism.
Some of them answered the phone in appalling,unpleasant manner.. Some routed the land line to their cell phones and went to a pub for a drink during their shift and answered the phone from there.
They lied about girl's descriptions. They promised client's services that the girls were not willing to provide (and clearly stated so in their "intro" cards).
One manager put me through the ringer,really. Remember, at that time I didn't live in Wellington and didn't know the city and,especially,suburbs well.
The manager told me she has an out call for me. She said the guy was a good client and he usually books the girls for 3-6 hours. So far, so good. THEN she went into a complicated story about how her brother was visiting from out of town and he had her car (she was meant to drive me to the appointment). The brother also didn't know where she worked (she told him it was just a "phone marketing call center"). I was to get into a car with that brother of hers and his mate and NOT tell them what I do and not to disclose any potentially damaging information and tell them I'm just from Russia, don't speak English and going home where I'm staying with a friend. The booking was in Miramar, where I've never been before and I had not a slightest clue where that address was.. It was extremely uncomfortable ride, as the brother kept trying to hit on me,was asking all sorts of questions,etc.. (Yeah, very professional, no kidding).
The story didn't end there. The client did book 2 hours to begin with, then extended to three, by which time he was really drunk and started to ask for my personal phone number. He was telling me he wants to date me, take me to Rarotonga,etc. I tried to be evasive and distract him with sex, but it wasn't working: he was on a mission and was asking for my number every 3 min. The situation was getting uncomfortable really fast,as he was saying things like "Don't you know how I feel about you" (WTF??! You just met me 2 hours ago!). When he realised that I am not going to "play ball" (I never,EVER lead clients on and dangle the possibility of a relationship in front of them in order to extend the booking and get more money-I despise those tactics), he wanted to end the booking. I called the manager for a pick up. She said she'd be there in a few minutes. She left me there, standing on the street for half an hour, in the middle of the night, with substantial amount of money on me and when she finally turned up, I got bollocking for not stretching a booking into 6 hours, when "all the other girls usually do"!!
That's another plausible deniability trick, which is very popular with the parlour owners: you complain about something (say, being booked 5 times in a row without a break) and they go "Oh... Well, none of the other girls complain about that..." What does that even mean? So if all the other girls go jump off the bridge I should follow a suit?!
And then they (parlour owners) say they don't treat us like a cattle and that they really care... Pffft..
I worked for that agency on one more trip and things got worse. They did get a driver, but one of the receptionists started sleeping with him-right there in the rooms where we were supposed to see clients. Besides, that driver appeared under influence of drugs and kept giving all the girls funny looks: as if he was undressing them with his eyes. I was seriously concerned with a possibility of rape..
Some money went missing from the office (stolen by one of the girls who had a serious drug habit). Later, when I already left, the entire SAFE was stolen from the office by that same girl, her boyfriend and one of the managers.
Not surprisingly, those people eventually lost all their business. 3 months later, working for another agency, I was told by my manager (like I said, they all check the competition on a daily basis :)  that there are photos of me on that other place's website listing me as "currently available" and showing my face!  I haven't worked for them for months and I certainly didn't give them permission to use my photos-I called the manager straight away and it took her further 24 hours to remove them. In US I would've definitely had grounds for a lawsuit...LOL..
Eventually I found the parlour/agency that I liked and stayed there for over a year. It wasn't posh, it was more of a "volume" place, but...
The owner treated me with great deal of respect. I made my own schedule and decided on my own hours. Even with those, I could always text her in the middle of my shift and say that I wanted a break, to go do some shopping, get my hair done, etc and she would always let me.
I could end my shift any time I wanted.
After a few months, I wasn't even required to sit on the premises during my shifts: I was going about my business and she would call/text me to let me know when I had a booking (because she knew I was reliable and she could trust me).
She trusted me to run her business (phones,money and all) when she went away on a holiday. She gave me a beautiful, quite expensive handbag (which she knew I really wanted) for my birthday.
She made me a part of her family celebrations by inviting me to join them for a meal... Well, you get the idea.
I didn't leave there because I didn't like the place. It's just our professional relationship has run it's course.
As I am financially secure (through many long years of hard work), I've decided to go with quality vs. quantity.
I work privately, provide a lot more extensive, involved sessions in exchange for a lot more money, thus taking a lot less bookings.
Generally, I really like working for parlours/agencies/clubs, but they have to meet certain criteria.
As it stands for right now, I am quite happy to be independent.

2 comments:

  1. http://i52.tinypic.com/30ngowm.jpg

    Oh, I see "madison" tried to discredit you...that figures. The profile "madison" was outed ages ago as the manager at a well-known establishment. I have screen shots of the whole thing and can email it to you if you like. LOL. Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, nice read. Also the hotel you mention just happens to be where I have booked in for my trip

    ReplyDelete